Thursday, July 28, 2016

Varnish or clear coat?

These two pictures of geraniums need sealed because they are on art board. I try to clear coat most of my acrylic paintings. One they are easier to clean and keep dust off of and two it brings out the background and some other detail.

Art supply stores like Hobby Lobby and many others carry "varnish clear coat" but there is matte finish and gloss finish and every thing in between. I feel you need to pick the style you want your final picture to look like.

Also there is several types of paint-able finishes, Liquidtex makes dozens of varnish, clearcoats, and imposto. (check out Dick Blick art supply)

I like to keep it simple that way I have in stock something that works for me and I know its properties. So I use the Matte and or Varnish gloss coat depending how I want you to view the painting.

These two paintings have a similar style. Daisies in the spring with a yellow green background and the red geraniums with white highlights for an accent.

I wanted the feel of early spring at different times of the day. Notice the daisy is the first thing you see and was the last thing I did. Then after they were good and dry I varnished them with gloss to bring out the look of spring.

We'll see ya later I got to go varnish a picture or two.

0 comments:

Post a Comment