Monday, July 25, 2016

Plain Air or Lets paint in the Studio today!

Recently I have painted in the open air in Florida and here near home. But with this 100 degree heat lets work in the studio this week.

Luckily I have lots of thumbnail sketches to reproduce from my outside work. I hope to catch the spirit of the original, I know the Hudson Valley painters always did that as well as many other artist.
 What do you have planned  for this week? I hope something even if its just a cartoon or doodle. You have to draw, paint, or sketch every day to improve.

My plan is watercolors because I can dash off a quick picture and yet (hopefully) catch the essence of the original.

I have found clouds are getting easier and more representational  by just letting the background come through.  I use several blues ( cobalt, ultramarine, and light blue ) for shadows. This adds depth and shows the "sky-dome" creating a touch of realism in the painting.

Well I'm off to get my brushes wet.

0 comments:

Post a Comment