Monday, January 16, 2017

Working out the Thirds

I have repeated the old adage every artist hears from day one, Divide your canvas into 1/3 's. Stay away from the center and move your main subject to upper or lower part of the composition.

The little bird in this picture is looking to the bigger bird and is in the far thirds while the red bird is in the upper thirds. There were other birds in the original Idea but right or wrong I left them out. I think in the lower third I should have left the other little bird in but I was focused on the Cardinal.

The branches and leaves also lead your eyes to the total composition. The berry's also add the flavors of color repeated. But again I tried to keep it in the thirds. And focus on the red bird.

So what do you say Keep your thirds at hand and your brushes wet!!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment