Sunday, August 7, 2016

Paint What We See ?

Do you always paint what you see? I would try to paint every blade of grass but then it just wouldn't look right.

This is "Burnside's" bridge over Antietam creek, during the civil war this bridge was a key rebel fortification. It's near Sharpsburg, Maryland.

 I wanted to paint every thing I saw and felt, the whole struggle, but I realized less is more.

This bridge has been painted many times before because of what happen here. I wanted to paint it all. (Not the scaffolding) My first sketch was a bust, so I painted it again, just catching the essence of what I saw. That was much better.

This is looking from the East side, the tree in the foreground was there 154 years ago, although its much bigger. Today this is a very peaceful place. Back then it was a place of great turmoil.

When we paint the "feeling" or the essence of what we see we do our subject and our audience an honor. Try this week to paint what you feel and you will be happier with the finish product.
Ask yourself  "What do I see." Or "What do I feel." What does the subject bring to you?

We don't have to paint everything we see. Sometimes I want to though. Van Gogh said don't paint the obvious.
Let's keep our brushes wet.





0 comments:

Post a Comment