Tuesday, August 2, 2016

3,5,and 7 and Golden Ratio

Three, five and seven these numbers mean something in art. Three  primary colors, red, yellow, and blue, from these we can make almost any other color. (I understand about the chemical colors) I'm just talking about the beginning of color!

Five is just a good way to create interest in your painting. For example in a landscape you need sky, horizon, background, middle ground, and foreground.

Seven is the way we can create depth in a painting progressing from light to dark, and from back to front.

Now with all rules in art they are made to be broken. Some of the great works of art have no background, or foreground.  In Fact they are just color or substance.
What I am referring to is most landscapes and a style of painting. These are of the late 17th century until the 20th century. That was when we started to put painting in the home as decor. The artist was more than a servant of Nobles, Kings, and Popes.

I not a big math person but, a canvas can be divided into thirds, and for that matter fifths or sevenths. There is also a "golden equation" 1:1.614 check out the Mona Lisa Da Vinci painted her in that special equation for dramatic effect! I sure there are many more ways to cut, divide and layout a painting that I don't know but maybe this will help you look into some of them and get you started on a path to painting and discovery!

Well today I going to divide up my canvas, maybe into fifths... or more!

0 comments:

Post a Comment