Friday, August 5, 2016

A Moment in Time with Monet!

Monet captured a moment in time. This picture is (ready for a long title?) The church of Varengeville and the Gorge of Montiers Pass.  Painted in 1882 it still holds up today! The colors, the light, and the composition.

Monet painted this scene several times and in different light and from different angles in fact in the other painting you can see he left out a tree or added a bush here and there.

This painting is the epitome of "plein air" done out of doors on the windy knoll of the gorge. His style is called "tache" in French it means to spot, stain, freckle, splosh, mottle, blotch, and speck.
( I looked it up, I don't know or speak French.) In art school I thought I heard the word as "touch" or "touche" meaning small touches of color and dabs of paint through out the painting. building a whole scene with dabs of color.

I believe he would have caught the color notes and the finished the painting his local studio. My understanding is Monet would have several paintings going at one time in different locations and times of day.

Until recently I was a bigger fan fan of some of the other Impressionist until I really began to discover Monet's style and dedication to his art. I always loved the waterlilies but I really didn't dig deep enough in to his pure style. Love it now though!!!

Lets see if we can catch a moment in time with our art this week.









0 comments:

Post a Comment