Sunday, May 7, 2017

Finding the Light

Lighthouses don't just guide sailors to shore or more importantly away from shore. Early in the time of Plato and other Greeks and Italians near the shore of their oceans fire protected the crews. They would build fires and light them to warn the sailor of the dangers of rocks and shallows.

I find today I am not quite into that but I am into the light on the painting and the highlights on the water and sky.

With my music on and a glass of tea I want to sit at my easel dip into my paint (keeping my brushes wet) and begin to create. It starts by finding the design or what I see in my minds eye. As in this painting I wanted to explore a familiar theme but touch a different sky and a troubled water with a touch of light on the water.

Framing each painting or subject with other elements, bringing in color and tones we build a feeling or a "impression" in our painting. I wanted to work on the rocks and the trees in the distance. I put a glaze on the lighthouse, and stained the roof of the building behind.

And by the way there is only one Sun in the sky, light comes from that source so find it and define it.
Well lets keep our brushes wet till next time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment