Saturday, May 6, 2017

Building a Lighthouse

Every painting is a building process. From the choice of canvas to the type of paint to the layers of design. Even the choice of subject.

This is a lighthouse I did the under-painting, and then began to build the sky and trees, leaving the area for a lighthouse. It is on a Masonite board.

I wanted the trees and the land masses to be a little stronger this time as opposed to some of the other type of lighthouses I did in the past. That way I would have a stronger base for my design. I like the rocks and sea rushing to the shore. I just find it to be so strong and curious in a design / composition.

The 1800's when so many light houses were built and the keepers had to carry the fuel and water to the lighthouse to help the sailors stay safe, it added to the mystique.  I believe there is many written stories and paintings of this time. The romance as I spoke of yesterday is what draws many of us to this type of painting, Many of my friends and clients live near the lakes and water. They have cottages decorated in nautical motifs.

In fact we have changed our bathroom to a more nautical theme. Something that we can do as artists is paint what we feel, and see and design.  So if your want is a ocean or lake theme then you can design it with all type of sea going items.

Well lets get out our brushes and dip in, keeping our brushes wet!  

0 comments:

Post a Comment