Saturday, May 13, 2017

Fall Trees Wet Brushes

Some of you may have seen this painting before, but I wanted you to see a quick study that we can turn into a full blown painting.

I would take this into my studio and do a landscape by first doing a layout of what I wanted to capture. These trees are near my house and across the field from me. In the fall they turn the best colors. ( Color turning in trees are due to the minerals in the earth and drawn in by the tree roots.)

You lay this out in regards to the lay of the land and what you perceive. I like the impressions of what I feel and the quick look away to get the impression" of the scene.  I think this makes a stronger painting. The far distant horizion line is a lead away in this painting. I am letting the gold of the earth tones to make the field between the viewer and subject.

Watercolors are a great way to quickly grab this type of project, laying down a feel of your subjects and not spending hours and having a very tight painting. Do it quick and loose. It is a project that can help you learn how to layout quick little sketches.

So now lets get those brushes wet and paint on!

0 comments:

Post a Comment