Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Dun's Pond - Acrylic as Watercolor

I like painting real places. This is Dun's pond at Indian Lake, Ohio. I wanted a more watercolor sky and to reflex it into the water.  Then I could dab and touch  the trees and the shore line into focus.  Next I was able to glaze the water over my reflections.

This canvas is mostly raw duck canvas, but it has been painted on with glazing and then spray painted with varnish. The subject was one I saw many years ago when working for the people on this side of the water.
Every morning I would look across the lake to see this scene. In the Spring the buzzards would gather and spread their wings to let the frost dry off of them and later fly away to do buzzard things.

These little 12 inch by 14 inch canvases are so much fun to do you should try one. By wetting down your paint to an almost watercolor consistency you can get unbelievable effects.It also makes your reflections and water effect look more interesting. Then add the white water ripples to create a neat look.

Something I also did was to use complementary colors the purple, yellow and orange, as well as the blues and other accent colors. Next the Reds and greens all to give a look of far off trees and shrubs.

Well lets wet down or brushes and do a more watercolor like painting.

0 comments:

Post a Comment