Monday, October 24, 2016

Back to Basics with the Pencil

This is a tree in my front yard, I took artistic licence and made it straighter than it is. I like it for its reach to the sky.

A question I heard a long time ago was ..."How tall will a tree grow?"
As tall as it can... how about you?

These next few post will be about trees. Fall and spring, pine trees and hard wood and other kinds. I grew up with a logger, Dad bought and sold trees, and we worked in the woods. So trees are a favorite of mine.

The drawing here is a plein air and on a warm fall day. I drew it noticing the limbs curving in an arc, the leaves falling, turning color. Birds using it as a refuge from the wind, a resting place. It is a popular tree around here, don't be surprised if you see it again in drawings I do.

This pencil drawing was done with a # 5B medium soft pencil and a # 2B soft for shadows.

0 comments:

Post a Comment