Friday, August 11, 2017

Balloons and Pastels

Okay not my best masterpiece but it was a learning experience. Pastels are kind of new to me it is a soft medium on this grey paper. The key is for your substrait ( paper or canvas) have a tooth. ( raised up grain )

This is a study or a throw away just to learn the blending and sketching quality's of the project. I like the idea of a balloon floating  over the earth quiet and graceful.

Edgar De Gas (he said Degas) was a master with pastels. You may remember the ballet dancers and women in the bath. He made the Japanese product of pastels a major player in Impressionism and art in general. Even though he was an old grump.

I used the pastels with the chalk like style first, I don't think I want to try the Oil based kind yet. They are very messy the chalk is bad enough. Learning to draw is the first step in most painting or art like we do around here. Degas said, " Painting is not what you see but what you make others see." The same thing in drawing it is what others see of your drawing.

Okay kids don't rush the brush, try pastels and if it works all the better.


0 comments:

Post a Comment