Sunday, August 13, 2017

Under coat in Gray

 Of all the processes of painting I like this as much as anything. The under coating of the canvas. I like to paint out the white and give myself a gray canvas to work on.

Gray is the white in acrylic painting. That is not to say there is no white but the gray light and middle tones add depth to your piece. Then you can use white white for highlights.

I remember many years ago a photographer had a back drop with this mottled back ground for his subjects. I loved it!

I made these two with ultramarine blue and van dyke brown plus a touch of white gesso. Depending on the strength and mixture of which color you use as the base is the difference in the final product. The more you blend and mix it up the more change you get in your final product.

This is a true case of keeping your brushes wet! Don't rush the brush!

0 comments:

Post a Comment