Tuesday, August 8, 2017

The Old Lighthouse



If you have followed me more than a few month you know I like lighthouses. This one is a special favorite, The Betsie Point light house.

Over the years these scrub trees have filled in the sand and turf area. This is one of the Great Lakes many light houses. I have painted this one several times and I am sure I have told you all I know about it. But to me the Light house represents a special time in our history. I know in Roman times, and even the Greek history talks of great lighthouses. They would build rock formations and keep oil and wood burning at night for the sailors to find the coast line.

The romance of the modern times on the rugged coastline with the keeper and his family braving the elements is special.  I think when I paint this scene it is what I am trying to capture. That struggle of the human condition.

This picture has not changed in many years, the trees are a little bigger the sky a different color blue or gray, but it is the same. Timeless for us all.

Well get your brushes wet and paint on!

0 comments:

Post a Comment