Thursday, July 6, 2017

Too Involved with Subject

The dam at the Betsie River in northern Michigan. This place has been for me a piece of the fabric of my childhood and adult life. I drew this sketch of it in about 1968 or 69. I have painted it several times since. They destroyed it in the early 1970's.

In trying to repaint it I have become to involved. I want the viewer to see what I felt and experienced growing up. The sunny days laying on the east side looking to the lake. Fishing off the wooden slats for rock bass.

I did a lay out and painted my darks and began with the point of interest. Then I lost the whole thing. I wanted too much. I wanted to go back in time. Someone said you can never go back. They were right.

I have gone back since and taken some pictures and shared them with you over the last few weeks. I find that if I paint what I see and maybe bring you along as well I have a better picture. By doing a new picture you build a new history of the place.

I have seen with some portraits you also can get to involved. Step back re-do and see what you get. Have fun and paint away.

Keep them brushes wet!

0 comments:

Post a Comment