Sunday, April 30, 2017

The Old Barn is Gone!

This old barn is no more. They have torn it down. I drew it and took some pictures of  it a long time ago because I loved the height and trees beside it.

This is pencil on gray paper and I used white charcoal and a little bit of regular charcoal.  The colored pencil was to do the accents and build up the tones and values of the barn and tree.

This old Barn had so much character and drew me into it, because of the work a day feel it had. Some subjects are that way to an artist, you see something and just have to paint or draw it. I remember as a child I would just have to color a picture in a coloring book.

I added the knots and broken boards at the base of the lean to, again to add interest.  I free handed this drawing if I was doing it for a real painting I would straighten every line on the edges,  But as this was just a sketch for my own benefit I quickly dashed it off.

When you paint something like this I think you want to make it as professional and with all your lines as straight as possible. When it is a study or sketch get your color notes down and shapes in place.

So as I always say keep your brushes wet and now sharpen the pencil!.

0 comments:

Post a Comment