Monday, June 26, 2017

Make It Painterly

Sometimes I feel like I am painting a cartoon. I think I do too much. I stated in a recent post (TMI) that you can do too much information.

Someone told me recently that a Surgeon only has to do their part of the surgery, where as an artist has to do everything and be concerned about all the elements of the painting.  A Doctor has other helpers to be concerned about the blood pressure and other important issues. I just have me.

Break thru's come when you are trying to paint and do a new technique.  Sometimes it just happens and break through or discoveries surprise you. I find that when I am trying to get the painting to do or be something special, things happen.

By making it more painterly or brush stoked the painting comes to life, not like a classic Dutch master or Renaissance painting but more Expressionist or Impressionist.

This painting was a break thru for me because it allowed me to do the touch or dab technique of Monet. I was able to see the color side by side with complementary colors and light up the mountain with lights and darks.

Well kids keep your brushes wet and make it painterly.

0 comments:

Post a Comment